Tag Archive: Assistant Professor of Art Andy Owen


FGCU ArtLab Reception 2.18.10

Feb. 18, 2010.  I have been behind in writing, as I have been busy preparing all of my paintings for the show that debuted last Thursday at the FGCU ArtLab.  This show  is titled: “Dying Arts: Batiks and Silk Works by Muffy Clark Gill and Nuch Owen” has been a labor of love for over a year since interim Curator Anica Sturdivant asked me to participate .  I met Thai artist Nuch Owen many years ago when she first came to the Naples area.  Her skill in painting on silk using Gutta resist is unbelievable, and very intricate. I enjoy her work and respect the talent that goes into creating it.   I brought 8 paintings to the show including “Seated in Silence”;” Hava Tampa Spirit”, and two of my pieces from the FGCU Steamroller project.  WGCU Public Media hosted the reception as a member event, and over 60 people showed up(there were RSVP’s for 107, and it was hard to track a true total).  Quite a few for a intimate gallery setting on the University campus.I really enjoyed talking to the students who were asked to do a report on the exhibition.    The show also featured the debut of my new silk hanging: “Influence”.  I have a web page of the show here:   http://tinyurl.com/ydmhbot.

The show  was part of a busy week that included a talk about how I use my Mac computer with my artwork, and two Batik demonstrations in the Southwest Florida area, along with the opening reception  February 12th for the 7th Biennial National Art Exhibition at the Visual Arts Center in Punta Gorda.  The “Hava Tampa” painting was one of the 138 entries accepted from over 720 submissions.  By the time Sunday night came, I was worn out!

Advertisements

Printing Time

It was now time to print the plate that I had created.  This was going to be a real challenge, as all of the ridges and spots left by the placement of the buttons and sequins would end up slowing down the application of ink to the plate.  It took several applications of oil based ink to reach all of the nooks and crannies of the plate (like an English muffin).  I then took the inked plate out to the Visual Art Center’s driveway, where Professor Owen had the driveway asphalt paver lined up with markings he had taped on the pavement.  We lined up five plates at a time, then placed a long sheet of archival printing paper over the surface of the plates, followed by a heavy felt printing blanket.  Then the fun began.  Professor Owen made a slow pass with the paver over the plates,  the blanket was removed, and the paper was then lifted by the students and moved off to the side to dry.  The plates were removed and replaced by five freshly inked new ones, and the process was repeated until all the students had at least one, and some had two sets of prints.  This was an all day event!

Let the paving begin!

Plates being prepped for driveway paver

The prints after they have been printed by the driveway paver

The prints after they have been printed by the driveway paver

The Steamroller Project

In March of this year, Assistant Professor of Art at Florida Gulf Coast University, Andy Owen, ran a 4 day program titled The Steamroller Project.  The program utilizes printing plates that are made by students and artists that are printed by  inking the plates, placing acid-free  paper over the plates, and then pressing the inked plates into the paper by having a driveway paver rolling over the top of them.  I thought this sounded like an interesting challenge, so I decided to join in the fun.  I was given a 2′ x 3′ masonite board to use as my base  plate. I then took the heads of the three Seminole ladies that appeared in my “Hava Tampa” piece, and re-created them, using cardboard, plastic and modeling paste.  My grandmother had left behind in her antique hutch, which I had inherited, a bag of old buttons of every size and color.  Most of the buttons were cut from old shells, and some had fabric coatings.

Plate of the Three Fates before ink is applied

I used these buttons to recreate the coin medallions on the ladies clothing, enhanced by rows of glued sequins.  I dipped linen gauze into white  gesso, and draped it in place to add a fabric touch to the sleeves of the clothing.  I used modeling paste to style the facial features, hands and hair. I added some dried bamboo fronds to break up the composition.  The finished plate is now ready for inking.